Early Childhood Approach to NDIS and Early Intervention

Being a responsible parent or caregiver means supporting your child's development. It will help them realise their full potential and achieve their goals, leading to a more fulfilling life. Giving your support can also help them become more productive and contributing members of society. 

While all children develop at their unique pace, those with disabilities or developmental delays may need extra assistance. Worrying about this situation may be understandable, but the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and early intervention can help correct these issues. 

If you want to help create a brighter future for your little one, this article will define early intervention and the NDIS's approach. We'll also help you determine when to get an insurance plan for your children. 

What Is Early Intervention?

Early intervention means acting immediately to address a child's developmental needs and provide support. Experts consider it the most effective way to promote the growth and overall health of children with disabilities or developmental delays. This program also helps children acquire the necessary skills to engage in daily activities. Moreover, early intervention can even minimise the need for long-term support in some cases. 

What Is the NDIS’s Early Childhood Approach to Early Intervention?

After defining early intervention, this section will enumerate the organisation's two approaches for younger children needing professional help. 

1. Early Connections 

This program links your kid with assistance for their growth. This aid may contain details and connections for popular help like nearby health facilities, playgroups, or peer assistance groups.

2. Early Supports 

Early therapies and supports can help your child learn basic skills like eating and dressing, and early support can teach you and your family how to develop these skills at home. However, your kid may need longer-term assistance sometimes and become an NDIS participant. Although the organisation has a different process to support older children, they’re committed to building on your family’s strengths and improving your child’s quality of life by customising the support provided.

What Can I Do If My Child Is Younger than Seven Years?

Here’s what you should do when seeking early intervention if your child is younger than seven. 

1. Consult a Health Professional or the NDIA

If you need assistance for your child with a disability, speak to a health professional. They can help you determine what support you need and refer you to an NDIS representative or the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), who can provide contact details for local early childhood partners.

2. Talk to an Early Childhood Partner 

You can meet with an early childhood partner to discuss your child’s needs and goals. They may provide information about mainstream supports, connect you with local services, provide early intervention support, help access the NDIS, or coordinate a combination of these options. You also don’t need to pay for this service. 

What Can I Do If My Child Is Seven Years and Older?

On the other hand, older children with a permanent or significant disability can receive support from the NDIS. Call the NDIA or your paediatrician for a referral and work with an NDIA planner or a local area coordinator (LAC) to create an NDIS plan to choose the best service providers.

When Should I Get My Child an NDIS Plan?

If your child has long-term support needs and is likely eligible for the NDIS, your early childhood partner can help you request access and develop a plan that supports your child's goals. They’ll also help you find and choose the best providers. Remember that early intervention is most effective on your child when they receive therapies and supports in everyday environments.

In Closing 

No child deserves to feel isolated because of their disability or developmental delays. You can help them realise their full potential and live fulfilling lives by treating this issue early and getting them an NDIS plan. 

If your child needs an NDIS plan or a healthcare professional for their disability or developmental delay, contact Kismet. We’re committed to helping parents find the best provider to support their child’s development. Claim your listing now. 

Looking for an NDIS Provider? Kismet can help you find the best health service or NDIS provider to support your journey.